There are lots of different causes of toothache, some serious and some not so serious. This means that your toothache could just be a passing pain that will be gone in a day or two, or it could be a more serious underlying problem that might need treatment. If you have toothache, this article will tell you what to do.
Should you see your dentist if you have toothache?
You won’t always need to see your dentist because of toothache; you may just be able to manage the pain at home until it passes. However, certain accompanying symptoms could indicate that you should seek treatment, such as:
- A fever
- Red and/or swollen gums
- Swollen cheek or jaw
- A bad taste in your mouth
- Swelling in your neck
These symptoms could indicate that you have a dental abscess, which can lead to complications if left untreated. In this case, you should call your dentist as soon as possible to book an appointment. If your symptoms are severe and it is out of your dentist’s opening hours, then it may be advised to go to the emergency room to seek treatment.
Additionally, if your pain does not go away on its own after two days and is not relieved by painkillers, then you should arrange a dentist appointment to check out the problem.
Home remedies for toothache
Taking painkillers at home is often enough to manage the pain of toothache, but if you’re looking for more home remedies while you’re waiting for your dental appointment, then here are some you can try…
- Saltwater rinse – Stir half a teaspoon of salt into a glass of warm water and rinse your mouth out with this solution before spitting it out. This can help to disinfect the mouth, reduce any inflammation, and prevent infection.
- Cold compress – Applying something cold to your jaw or cheek where you’re feeling pain can help to reduce the pain and swelling. Wrap ice, or even a pack of frozen food, in a towel and hold it on the area for around 20 minutes.
- Chew garlic – Garlic is thought to have a lot of medicinal properties that can also help your oral health. Slowly chewing a clove of fresh garlic or applying a garlic paste to the affected area can relieve pain and kill harmful bacteria.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract is another natural ingredient that can do wonders for your health. It has antioxidant properties to speed up the healing process and also contains alcohol that can help to numb the pain when applied to the area.
Remember, if your toothache lasts for more than two days or if your symptoms are severe, call your dentist to arrange an appointment as soon as you can. If you’re seeking pain-free dentistry in Bermuda Run, NC, then contact Advance Family Dentists to book an appointment today.